Showing all 11 results
Master Cutting-Edge Modern Jazz Guitar Techniques!
Modern Jazz Guitar Concepts provides an in-depth insight into the modern jazz guitar techniques you’ll hear in the music of Kurt Rosenwinkel, Adam Rogers, Jonathan Kriesberg, Gilad Hekselman, Lage Lund and others. In this book, you’ll learn the essential building blocks of modern jazz guitar with numerous licks and detailed descriptions of the theory behind each concept.
Popular YouTube teacher Jens Larsen teaches you how to apply triads, arpeggios, and scales to create the sounds of contemporary jazz guitar. This creative method allows you to develop the knowledge you already have, using basic major and minor scales in a new way to create fresh sounds. This book contains a wealth of knowledge and provides a clear, easy to follow method for jazz guitar fans who want to access the modern style of playing.
What you’ll learn:
- The essential techniques of modern jazz guitar, with licks played over the familiar II-V-I progression.
- How to apply the basic major scale to contemporary jazz guitar with clever use of triads and arpeggios.
- How to use chromatics to create tension and interest in your solos.
- The “Coltrane pattern”–break up boring scale patterns and learn how to improvise over quick chord changes.
- How to apply the harmonic minor and diminished scales in a modern jazz context.
- Expand your jazz vocabulary with a collection of innovative modern licks you can adapt to your style.
Would you like a straightforward method that teaches you how to achieve a contemporary jazz guitar sound, without having to learn dozens of exotic scales?
Would you like a jazz guitar method that shows how you can re-think the scales and arpeggios you already know?
Would you like a simple method that will help you create your own original melodic ideas?
In recent years, many new modern jazz guitar players have emerged, many from the exciting New York scene. Jens Larsen has written the must-have guide to contemporary jazz vocabulary – but this isn’t merely a book of licks – the concepts behind the licks are explained in a thorough, detailed manner, enabling you to immediately apply them to your playing.
Here’s What You Get:
- A step-by-step guide that starts simple and adds layers of complexity.
- Perfectly notated examples with tab and studio-quality audio to download for FREE.
- A full-length blues with a solo analysis demonstrating all the concepts at work.
Modern Jazz Guitar Concepts cuts through the mystery that surrounds contemporary jazz guitar and explains the concepts behind the style in a clear and concise manner. Using the familiar II-V-I progression, Jens Larsen demonstrates how to get “that sound”, without learning dozens of exotic scales.
Buy it now and master the language of modern jazz guitar!
Do you hear great blues guitar songs and wish you knew how to play them?
Do you want to play great solos but don’t even know where to start?
Wouldn’t it be great to emulate your favourite blues musicians or even pick up your guitar and work out your favourite songs by ear!?
- Play solos in the style of B.B. King, John Lee Hooker, and more!
- Learn to instinctively play any blues song.
- Understand scales and techniques so you find the right notes every time.
The Complete Guide to Playing Blues Guitar is a three-part series that teaches you the essential skills required to become a master blues guitarist.
Here’s what you get…
- Over 245 Pages of blues guitar mastery focusing on rhythm guitar, melodic phrasing and beyond pentatonics that help you play any blues song.
- Over 400 notated downloadable audio examples of exercises, techniques and licks so you can hear and feel each stepping stone in the process.
- Over 20 backing tracks so you can play and hear what you are learning in actual musical situations.
- The complete blues guitar soloing course that will have you writing and improvising your own solos in no time.
With over 245 jam-packed pages and 400 notated audio examples from all three books in the Playing Blues Guitar series, this is the most comprehensive guide to playing blues guitar ever released.
Book One – Rhythm Guitar focuses on the topic of rhythm guitar giving you a solid understanding and practice of not only the common blues chord structures but also multiple approaches you can take to embellish the standard harmony. Beginning with the basic structure of the 12-bar blues and continuing with open-string riffs, dominant 7 chords, turnarounds, and more. This book gives you the tools needed to play any blues song.
Book Two – Melodic Phrasing examines the most important aspects of blues guitar soloing, allowing you to develop your improvisational skills in the blues world. By teaching rhythm, phrasing and placement you learn to use fundamental rhythmic fragments to create and drive your solo forward. Because when you know the building blocks melodies will take care of themselves. Never worry about forgetting licks again.
Book Three – Beyond Pentatonics teaches you the secrets of blues guitar soloing by showing you how to break away from the minor pentatonic soloing trap that plagues so many. It shows you how to target the most powerful notes from each chord in the blues progression to create the greatest emotional effect, wooing your audience. All of that plus discovering the many possible scale choices for each of the chords in the blues and you will be building solos like a master blues guitarist in no time.
All 3 Amazon best-selling books are combined seamlessly in this complete guide to everything you need to know about playing the blues.
Master jazz guitar chord melody with Martin Taylor MBE
Do you struggle to create beautiful chord melody guitar arrangements? Do you want to find your own unique jazz guitar voice? Do you want to improvise spontaneous chord melody guitar solos?
Beyond Chord Melody with Martin Taylor MBE condenses over 40 years of playing expertise and insight into a beautiful jazz guitar book. Learn from the internationally acclaimed master of chord melody guitar as he guides you through his 7-step method to creating your own guitar arrangements.
As a special bonus, two specially commissioned online videos are included, with Martin Taylor illustrating key techniques.
What you’ll learn:
- 7 steps to jazz chord melody guitar that will unlock your creativity.
- How to make a chord melody arrangement of any jazz standard.
- How to play chords and solo at the same time.
- Overcome the common blocks that stifle your jazz guitar progress.
- Build stunning jazz chord melody guitar arrangements.
- Leverage the essential components of any jazz standard.
- Break away from chord boxes and discover the freedom of polyphonic jazz guitar playing.
Bonus 1: Learn a complete chord melody arrangement of an original tune to consolidate all the jazz guitar techniques and kick start your jazz chord melody guitar mastery.
Bonus 2: Two exclusive videos with Martin Taylor that clearly demonstrate the most fundamental aspects of his jazz guitar style.
If you love jazz chord melody guitar, you’ve probably struggled to learn other people’s arrangements, while struggling to create your own.
Beyond Chord Melody teaches you Martin Taylor’s own secret formula for creating instant jazz guitar arrangements and gives you the tools to master your guitar and create your own stunning chord melody arrangements.
Beyond Chord Melody with Martin Taylor MBE is the antidote to formulaic guitar methods. His 7-step chord melody guitar system helps you “break out of the box” and is taught in a clear, concise manner.
Martin Taylor starts from basic jazz guitar theory and adds layer upon layer of detail to create your own, beautiful jazz guitar chord melody guitar arrangements.
Buy it now to begin creating your own beautiful chord melody guitar arrangements.
Single Note Permutations is a step towards developing fluent technique for combining pick and fingers. Here you’ll find more than 1,400 different exercises based entirely on permutations. You should condition your fingers to respond to the intuitive part of your brain when you are playing, not just what they can do by themselves.
If you want to get inspired, be original, and get away from your own clichés, this book is for you.
Guitarist, composer, recording artist, educator, and author Gustavo Assis-Brasil presents his third book about hybrid-picking technique. Recommended for intermediate to advanced guitarists, Hybrid Picking Lines & Licks is a collection of 284 modern phrases exclusively written for the pick and fingers combined.
Chapters include: Triads, Arpeggios, Pentatonics, Scales and Modes, Atonal, Intervallic, and Octave Displacement Lines and Licks.
“Welcome to a very splendid new book on hybrid picking! Essentially this is the “Swiss army knife” approach to picking technique, combining the advantages of fingerstyle and “regular” picking to facilitate all sorts of crazy stuff (wide interval leaps, open chord voicings, polyphony, you name it…) which would otherwise be unplayable. Hybrid Picking Lines & Licks For Guitar offers an abundance of new ideas for your delectation… Perhaps the coolest thing about the examples in here is that they’re not just technical exercises: the actual notes are interesting, too, so your fretting hand and musical ear are just as likely to benefit as your hybrid picking technique itself. I’m confident that any guitar player, regardless of his/her style and technique, will find something challenging and inspiring in the following pages. Nice one, Gustavo!” – Guthrie Govan
“Since working out of Gustavo Assis-Brasil’s Hybrid Picking books I’ve definitely been graced with new and creative approaches to the guitar. I’ve always been a fan of wide intervallic lines, as well as voice leading, and hybrid picking seems to be the perfect technique encompassing both those things and more. I’ve literally been inspired to write new music directly after spending a little time with his books daily. Getting the Lines & Licks book pushed things even further as far as creative lines are concerned. Having use of my other fingers while still holding the pick is an ingenious way to approach the guitar!” – Tosin Abasi (Animals as Leaders)
The original best seller! A complete method for combining pick and fingers.
“With Hybrid Picking For Guitar, Gustavo Assis-Brasil has created a hugely valuable resource, in terms of expanding both one’s technique and vocabulary. Also, the studies at the end of the book are beautiful pieces in their own right. I highly recommend it.” –Ben Monder
“Gustavo’s book is probably the most comprehensive study of hybrid picking I’ve seen. I highly recommend it to anyone interested in this technique.”–Brett Garsed
Learn how to solo like the masters!
The ultimate practice book for serious jazz guitarists!
The Cellular Approach is a practical method for developing the ability to create convincing jazz solos in a wide variety of playing situations.
It takes actual jazz lines recorded by master players and then slices them up into small “cells” that can be re-combined into longer lines to fit almost any harmonic situation.
This enables the player to improvise his or her own lines that sound just as interesting and melodic as the masters without resorting to simply copying others. Fingerings and string choices are often given too, making it particularly valuable to guitarists who want to actually master their instrument.
Some of the harmonic situations dealt with include:
- Fast-moving cycles such as the bridge of “Jordu.”
- Chromatic II-V changes.
- Turnarounds, including many that are useful for dealing with “rhythm changes.”
- Jimmy Heath’s “C.T.A.” changes.
- John Coltrane’s “Giant Steps” changes.
- In addition, slower moving II-Vs are covered, using various strategies for stringing together the short cells into long flowing lines.
- 189 pages!
There is a complete discussion of how to break out of diatonic-derived lines by using the cellular approach to create “side-slipping” and other intervallic lines — creating ultra-hip solo phrases in the style of modern masters such as Pat Metheny, Michael Brecker, and Herbie Hancock.
Finally, the cell concept gets transcended as twelve-tone rows in the style of Mike Stern and others are explored, as well as lines derived from “23rd chords” for adventurous players that are interested in paving a way into the future.
The ultimate jazz guitar reference book!
The book contains detailed explanations and exercises on virtually everything a guitarist needs to start playing jazz with others:
- Learn many categories of chord voicings.
- Develop comping tips and understand how to play in a rhythm section.
- In-depth scale and chord construction.
- Read charts for classic jazz tunes.
- Understand how to develop solo chops by using riffs and familiar melodies.
- Work on ways to approach practicing jazz.
- Improve your right-hand picking techniques.
- Gain knowledge of overall jazz theory …and much more!
In-demand British instructor Levi Clay explores five genre-busting approaches to playing, from connecting chords and arpeggios to resolving tension, using the CAGED system to liven-up solos, and mastering guide tones and turnaround tactics.
Exclusive downloadable ebook.