All digital-only products found on Shop.PremierGuitar.com
Showing 1–12 of 234 results
If you don’t know the tradition of Americana Guitar, get ready to pay your dues…
The Americana Guitar book lets you instantly discover the evolving heritage of American music. You’ll master authentic Americana guitar along with 126 audio tracks you can download for free…
Americana is the crossroads where Country, Blues, Folk and Bluegrass collide – a century-old melting pot that is still evolving.
The Americana Guitar Book introduces you to every essential technique that will enhance your musical palette on both acoustic and electric guitar… from Travis and Carter picking, to slide licks and raucous electric guitar work.
This Americana Guitar Book will also help you discover lush new textures, rich chords, open tunings and unique musical voicings.
With Guitar Techniques Magazine’s Stuart Ryan as your expert guide, you’ll learn essential guitar techniques like:
- Bluegrass-style alternating basslines
- Strumming patterns
- The “Carter picking” style of Maybelle Carter
- “Travis picking” developed by Merle Travis
- Simple to advanced fingerpicking approaches
- Accompaniment in the styles of Bob Dylan, Paul Simon and many more
- Creative open tunings
…and much more. In fact, you’ll master a rich tapestry of techniques and songs that will heighten your creativity on guitar.
This unique Americana guitar method is organised chronologically to help you discover the whole history of Americana music…
And each generation of heroes has something new to offer the aspiring Americana guitarist
The Pioneers – Elizabeth Cotten, Maybelle Carter, Lester Flatt, Clarence White
The Renegades – artists who changed the sound of Americana, including Hank Williams, Johnny Cash, Bob Dylan, Luther Perkins
The Hitmakers – Paul Simon, Neil Young, Bruce Springsteen, Tom Petty, Emmylou Harris
The Renaissance – a new generation of Americana-influenced artists including Steve Earle, Gillian Welch, John Hiatt, Melissa Etheridge, Lyle Lovett, Peter Buck
Americana Today – the artists who are still evolving the style: Alison Krauss, Lucinda Williams, Wilco, Aimee Mann, Rodney Crowell, Ray LaMontaigne, Chris Stapleton
But that’s not all! You’ll also learn these essential creative songwriting techniques:
- Guitar hooks that dovetail beautifully with vocal parts
- Tight, cohesive rhythms embellished with legato melodies
- Linking chords with scale runs and licks
- Accompaniments with moving basslines
- Chord-melody arrangements
- Using diverse Americana styles to write your own songs
And there’s more…
Award-winning author Stuart Ryan has included four full-length pieces that combine the techniques and styles into beautiful songs.
You’ll move from capturing the “old time” sound of Americana, through intricate fingerpicking, to learning how artists like Steve Earle and Springsteen fused traditional Americana with rock guitar to bring you bang up to date.
With 126 audio tracks you can download for free, The Americana Guitar Book is your ticket to the evolving heritage of American music.
Discover the Expressive Art of Modern Slide Guitar Playing
Slide guitar is currently enjoying a huge renaissance thanks to contemporary players like Derek Trucks, Joey Landreth, Brett Garsed, AJ Ghent and Jack White – great innovators who are carrying the flame for the next generation. And our new how to play slide guitar book teaches you how.
Learning how to play slide guitar is one of the few techniques can change your whole approach to the guitar, so much so that it becomes a whole new instrument. In this book, you will master the art and technique of modern electric slide guitar playing.
What You’ll Learn:
- Essential open tunings for slide, & scale shapes for innovative soloing
- Advanced guitar techniques such as playing behind the slide, false harmonics & legato
- Slide guitar licks in style of Duane Allman, Ry Cooder and Johnny Winter
- Modern techniques from Derek Trucks, Dan Auerbach, Joey Landreth and Brett Garsed
- The rarely taught skill of playing slide guitar in standard tuning!
In Slide Guitar Soloing Techniques, virtuoso guitarist Levi Clay teaches you perfect slide guitar technique from its first foundations. You’ll master accurate intonation, string muting and expressive vibrato before learning to expressing yourself musically on slide guitar.
You’ll discover how to play with a full range of expression and emotion while mastering the most useful chords, inversions, and playing positions used by the world’s best players.
As well as learning slide guitar in all the common open tunings, we’ve even included chapters on how to transfer any open tuning lick to standard tuning so you can grab any guitar and instantly make incredible music.
With full-length study pieces and complete slide guitar solos to learn, and with hundreds of licks, tips and techniques of your favourite players Slide Guitar Soloing Techniques is the ultimate guide to the art of modern creative slide guitar.
Here’s What You Get:
- Expressive and authentic modern slide guitar lessons
- Dozens of exercises and slide guitar techniques you can use to make beautiful music instantly
- Tips on choosing the right slide, guitar setup and nailing the perfect amp tone
- Perfectly notated examples with tab and studio-quality audio to download for FREE
Bonus: Learn complete solos and dazzling performance pieces so you always have something meaningful to play for a crowd.
Slide Guitar Soloing Techniques contains over 150 supporting audio examples, so you can hear exactly how each one should sound.
Learn how to play slide guitar, and bring your performance and take skills as a guitarist to the next level – today!
There has never been a jazz guitar book like this before…
Mike Stern is an electrifying guitarist whose blistering chops combine sophisticated jazz harmony with rock-fusion firepower and perfect bluesy phrasing. In this ground-breaking book, he shares his secrets of altered scale soloing and reveals the keys to his signature sound.
In his new book, Altered Scale Soloing for Jazz Guitar, exclusive to Fundamental Changes, Mike teaches you in depth how to use every important altered scale on guitar to create incredible solos with his instantly recognizable sound.
You’ll master modern outside-sounding jazz guitar chops using…
- The Altered Scale (Super Locrian Mode)
- The Mixolydian b2b6 Scale (Phrygian Dominant)
- The Symmetrical Diminished Scale (Half Whole)
- The Whole Tone Scale
A Complete, Practical System to Create Modern Jazz Guitar Vocabulary
Along with over 140 jaw-dropping licks and music examples, Mike’s unique jazz guitar course teaches you to get inside the scales.
- You’ll discover the following jazz guitar soloing concepts:
- How each altered jazz guitar scale is formed
- The most important scale shapes and positions to use and why
- How to master the scale intervals and use them to create blistering jazz solos
- Beautiful sequencing patterns that quickly become musical phrases you can use
- Dozens of modern scalic licks, runs and sequences
With these essential skills under your fingers, you’ll immediately apply them musically as you learn play intervallic licks over the most essential chord changes in jazz to add new depth to your soloing.
As your jazz guitar soloing skills develop, you’ll add to your vocabulary by learning lines based around more advanced, musical jazz structures. You’ll learnt to get creative with
- Diatonic triads
- 7th chord jazz arpeggio sequences
- Triad/arpeggio-based melodies
- Longer 8-bar jazz soloing structures
Master Altered Scale Jazz Guitar Lines With Four Epic Etudes
Each altered scale is taught in its own detailed chapter, and to round off each one you’ll be taught a full-length original solo, recorded at Mike’s New York studio. These solos combine all the musical approaches of each chapter into beautiful, melodic language you can use in your own playing.
This rigorous approach, combined with a vast arsenal of melodic ideas, gives you unparalleled insight into the mind of one of the most respected jazz musicians on the planet… and you’ll also learn plenty of Mike’s signature licks and tricks along the way!
One Solo to Rule them All!
To tie every altered jazz guitar scale sound together, Mike has written an epic 130-bar solo that explores every musical concept over a blistering Bb Blues. When you learn this solo, you’ll hear, internalize and feel how these advanced jazz guitar scales can be used to make powerful, attention-grabbing music.
Throughout the book, Mike goes into such depth about his thought processes and techniques that you’ll learn so much more than you will from a transcribed solo with no explanation.
In Altered Scale Soloing for Jazz Guitar Mike has been incredibly generous when it comes to sharing his licks and musical ideas. In fact, you’ll find over 140 individual notated examples (with tab) and over 40 minutes of free audio to download.
Altered Scale Soloing for Jazz Guitar is a deep dive into the musical mind of one the true jazz guitar geniuses of our generation. You owe it to yourself to check it out take your music to a whole new level of creativity.
Play bebop jazz-blues guitar lines effortlessly with these simple substitution ideas
Jazz Bebop Blues Guitar helps you to create the authentic sound of jazz guitar, without having to learn numerous scales and modes. Based around the familiar blues progression, this book uses simple chord / scale substitution ideas to create beautiful jazz-blues lines in the style of the great jazz guitarists. If you’re familiar with the blues, but want to learn how to play great jazz lines, this book will quickly have you playing authentic bebop, simply by re-thinking the knowledge you already have.
You’ll learn licks in the style of Wes Montgomery, Joe Pass, Pat Martino and Jim Hall, with over 120 original musical examples, each illustrated with notation and tab. Download FREE audio of every example, and jam along to the 22 backing tracks / vamps provided. Includes 3 full-length jazz blues solos in different keys, demonstrating all the concepts covered.
What you’ll learn:
- Major and Minor scale / arpeggio substitutions you can play over the blues progression to create new sounds
- A creative jazz-blues guitar method that will help you play great licks straight away
- Ideas that are simple to apply, but result in advanced melodic lines
- A tried and tested method to access the language of jazz guitar
- Numerous licks in the style of the great players
- An easy way to create your own original lines
- Soloing schemes to help you create your own improvised solos
Jazz Bebop Blues Guitar
- Would you like to be able to play effortless bebop lines in the style of the great jazz guitar players?
- Would you like a simple method to help you generate 100s of original licks of your own?
- Would you like to give your playing a fresh injection of ideas?
- Solution Description
A Tried and Tested Creative Jazz Blues Guitar Method
Many guitar players are comfortable with the familiar blues progression, but those wanting to learn the language of jazz are often baffled about the best way to learn to play bebop. Learning lots of different scales and modes can be both daunting and un-musical. In Jazz Bebop Blues Guitar, the author brings together over 20 years of learning and experience gigging in London’s jazz clubs to present a simple method that will have you playing musical lines right away. More than that, by the end of this book you will be equipped to create your own amazing lines.
Here’s What You Get:
- A step-by-step guide that starts simple and adds layers of complexity
- Numerous examples with backing tracks and vamps to practise to
- Three full-length blues in different keys with example solos and backing tracks to experiment with
- Perfectly notated examples with tab and studio-quality audio to download for FREE
Decode the Language of Bebop and Get Creative!
Jazz Bebop Blues Guitar not only shows you how to play great jazz lines like the masters, it puts creative tools in your hands. These simple concepts can be applied to help you break out of your box and explore new ideas. Taught in a clear, concise manner, the focus is on creativity and capturing the sound and feel of authentic bebop guitar.
Jazz Bebop Blues Guitar contains 120 supporting audio examples, so you can hear exactly how each example should sound.