In our cover story this month we talk to Animals as Leaders mastermind Tosin Abasi and his 8-string cohort Javier Reyes about their new album, The Madness of Many. Our other artist interviews include chats with Chrissie Hynde of the Pretenders, Warpaint’s Emily Kokal and Theresa Wayman, Stick Men’s Tony Levin and Markus Reuter, Meshuggah’s Mårten Hagström, Lynyrd Skynyrd cofounder Gary Rossington, and “Godfather of Fusion” Larry Coryell. We’ve also got a bonus lesson on learning to play outside the conventional chord-scale mindset. As for gear coverage, this month we dive deep into the world of bucket-brigade effects of yesterday and today, as well as review Foxpedal’s Defector, the Spector Timbre acoustic 4-string, TC Electronic’s Tailspin, Free the Tone’s Ambi Space, the Eastwood Senn, Sandberg’s Forty Eight bass, the Milkman Pint, MXR’s Echoplex Delay, Collings OM2H T, Dunlop’s CBM105Q Mini Bass Cry Baby, Fender ’57 Custom Pro , Wren and Cuff’s Sonder, Lollar’s P-90 Staple, and the Ernie Ball Ambient Delay.
“Crossroads” T-shirt Featuring the art of Michael Marsicano! See the full artwork and MORE in PG‘s October 2019 Issue. USA Only. For pricing outside the USA please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please reference sizing chart before ordering as there are no exchanges or refunds.
OTHER GREAT LESSON EBOOKS
Nail Your Killer Tone With This Complete Guide to Guitar Effects Pedals
All guitar players are on a never-ending quest for the perfect tone and are constantly trying to discover the right combination of effects to achieve the sound we hear in our heads. Will getting a specific pedal solve our tone problems, or is it simply the way our rig is configured?
Guitar tone guru Rob Thorpe gives a complete rundown on every type of guitar pedal, and answers all these questions and more in Guitar Pedals: Mastering Guitar Effects. If you have ever wrestled with your tone, this book is for you.
Solve These Common Guitar Tone Problems:
- What’s the best order to chain your effects together?
- Should distortion come first or last?
- What about modulation?
- Certain pedals should sound great but kill my tone?
- What am I doing wrong?
- What are the best reverb/delay pedals on the market?
- What’s the difference between a Big Muff, a Tube Screamer and a Reaper Pandemonium?
Much More Than “This Pedal Does That”…
Guitar Pedals: Mastering Guitar Effects is much more than a simple guide to the types of guitar effects. You’ll go in-depth to discover:
- The types of pedals available and how each one sculpts your guitar tone
- How to use each guitar pedal properly
- How to configure your guitar pedal board to correctly get the sound you want
- The best distortion, compression, modulation, and delay pedals to use… and when!
- How guitar pedals should really sound and what you can achieve with them
- How to get those “special effects” you’ve heard the pro guitarists use
Plus Two Free Bonuses:
Bonus One: Interviews with three touring/recording guitarists about how they created and use their rig for gigs and in the studio, revealing some great insights, including Cradle of Filth’s Richard Shaw.
Bonus Two: Effects physics for the curious, a dedicated section to show you how a guitar pedal does what it does!
Learn how to master delay to double-up riffs and even create backward solos … in harmony!
Here’s What You Get
Guitar Pedals: Mastering Guitar Effects includes studio quality recordings to demonstrate how each stomp box sounds and you’ll learn dozens of useful guitar licks appropriate to each effect. It’s not just theory, this is a practical guide with great examples and individual chapters dedicated to:
- Overdrives and Boosts
- Wah-Wahs and Envelope Filters
Plus, an all-important chapter on how to chain effects together and build up your pedalboard!
It’s time to master your guitar effects and nail your dream guitar tone!
The original best seller! A complete method for combining pick and fingers.
“With Hybrid Picking For Guitar, Gustavo Assis-Brasil has created a hugely valuable resource, in terms of expanding both one’s technique and vocabulary. Also, the studies at the end of the book are beautiful pieces in their own right. I highly recommend it.” –Ben Monder
“Gustavo’s book is probably the most comprehensive study of hybrid picking I’ve seen. I highly recommend it to anyone interested in this technique.”–Brett Garsed
Learn how to solo like the masters!
The ultimate practice book for serious jazz guitarists!
The Cellular Approach is a practical method for developing the ability to create convincing jazz solos in a wide variety of playing situations.
It takes actual jazz lines recorded by master players and then slices them up into small “cells” that can be re-combined into longer lines to fit almost any harmonic situation.
This enables the player to improvise his or her own lines that sound just as interesting and melodic as the masters without resorting to simply copying others. Fingerings and string choices are often given too, making it particularly valuable to guitarists who want to actually master their instrument.
Some of the harmonic situations dealt with include:
- Fast-moving cycles such as the bridge of “Jordu.”
- Chromatic II-V changes.
- Turnarounds, including many that are useful for dealing with “rhythm changes.”
- Jimmy Heath’s “C.T.A.” changes.
- John Coltrane’s “Giant Steps” changes.
- In addition, slower moving II-Vs are covered, using various strategies for stringing together the short cells into long flowing lines.
- 189 pages!
There is a complete discussion of how to break out of diatonic-derived lines by using the cellular approach to create “side-slipping” and other intervallic lines — creating ultra-hip solo phrases in the style of modern masters such as Pat Metheny, Michael Brecker, and Herbie Hancock.
Finally, the cell concept gets transcended as twelve-tone rows in the style of Mike Stern and others are explored, as well as lines derived from “23rd chords” for adventurous players that are interested in paving a way into the future.
The Perfect Resource for Any Country Guitar Player
Three Best-Selling Country Guitar Books in One Complete Volume
- Discover every essential country guitar chord.
- Master country guitar techniques like banjo rolls and hybrid picking.
- Learn and apply over 100 country guitar licks.
- Play exciting country guitar solos with authentic backing tracks.
- Discover every important country guitar scale in addition to learning the CAGED System.
- Master bends, slides, picking, legato, and much more!
The Complete Country Guitar Method Compilation is a collection of three best-selling books that teach the essential skills required to move from absolute basics to astonishing country guitar solos.
Here’s What You Get:
- Three best-selling books in one!
- 278 pages of traditional and cutting-edge country guitar essentials.
- Over 400 notated audio examples so you can hear how to play guitar.
- A complete breakdown and masterclass of every country guitar technique.
- Over 100 authentic “in the style of” country guitar licks.
You’ll be a country guitar picking pro in no time.
Book 1: Country Guitar for Beginners
Are you struggling to learn country guitar? This book covers the essential country chord voicings found in everything from cowboy ballads to western swing. There are plenty of country guitar secrets thrown in too so you’ll need to pay attention! Once you’ve learned these voicings, you will apply them by playing real country rhythm guitar.
Next, you’ll move on to develop a full range of scales, arpeggios and soloing approaches that can be applied to country music, preparing your fingers for the more technically demanding aspects of country guitar.
Book 2: Country Guitar Soloing Techniques
Have you ever wondered how great country guitarists effortlessly outline the chord sequences in their solos and never break a sweat? This book teaches you authentic country guitar soloing using the actual techniques of the masters.
With over 180 notated audio examples, every essential technique, scale and approach is dissected and developed into musical licks and exciting, flamboyant solos. From simple scales to triads and chromatic approach notes, the harmonic and theoretical aspects of soloing are broken down and rebuilt effortlessly into articulate solo lines that sound incredible. You’ll discover triads, Pentatonic scales, open string licks, hybrid-picking, banjo rolls, slurs and chromatic ideas that will quickly propel you to country guitar soloing greatness.
Book 3: Country Guitar Heroes – 100 Licks for Country Guitar
This goes way beyond every other lick book available. It’s a complete guitar method for country guitar that teaches you how to learn and internalize the language of the country guitar masters into your everyday playing.
The style and language of the 20 most genre-defining country guitar players are discussed and analyzed, along with five defining, “in the style of” guitar licks are given for each player.
Albert Lee | Brad Paisley | Brent Mason | Buck Owens/Don Rich | Chet Atkins | Danny Gatton | Eldon Shamblin | Glen Campbell | Hank Garland | James Burton | Jerry Donahue | Jerry Reed | Jimmy Bryant | Johnny Hiland | Keith Urban | Redd Volkaert | Roy Nichols | Steve Wariner | Vince Gill | Whit Smith
In addition to learning their essential country guitar language, you will also learn how to easily incorporate their country guitar licks into your playing.
You can’t afford to miss this incredible country guitar resource.
Do you hear great blues guitar songs and wish you knew how to play them?
Do you want to play great solos but don’t even know where to start?
Wouldn’t it be great to emulate your favourite blues musicians or even pick up your guitar and work out your favourite songs by ear!?
- Play solos in the style of B.B. King, John Lee Hooker, and more!
- Learn to instinctively play any blues song.
- Understand scales and techniques so you find the right notes every time.
The Complete Guide to Playing Blues Guitar is a three-part series that teaches you the essential skills required to become a master blues guitarist.
Here’s what you get…
- Over 245 Pages of blues guitar mastery focusing on rhythm guitar, melodic phrasing and beyond pentatonics that help you play any blues song.
- Over 400 notated downloadable audio examples of exercises, techniques and licks so you can hear and feel each stepping stone in the process.
- Over 20 backing tracks so you can play and hear what you are learning in actual musical situations.
- The complete blues guitar soloing course that will have you writing and improvising your own solos in no time.
With over 245 jam-packed pages and 400 notated audio examples from all three books in the Playing Blues Guitar series, this is the most comprehensive guide to playing blues guitar ever released.
Book One – Rhythm Guitar focuses on the topic of rhythm guitar giving you a solid understanding and practice of not only the common blues chord structures but also multiple approaches you can take to embellish the standard harmony. Beginning with the basic structure of the 12-bar blues and continuing with open-string riffs, dominant 7 chords, turnarounds, and more. This book gives you the tools needed to play any blues song.
Book Two – Melodic Phrasing examines the most important aspects of blues guitar soloing, allowing you to develop your improvisational skills in the blues world. By teaching rhythm, phrasing and placement you learn to use fundamental rhythmic fragments to create and drive your solo forward. Because when you know the building blocks melodies will take care of themselves. Never worry about forgetting licks again.
Book Three – Beyond Pentatonics teaches you the secrets of blues guitar soloing by showing you how to break away from the minor pentatonic soloing trap that plagues so many. It shows you how to target the most powerful notes from each chord in the blues progression to create the greatest emotional effect, wooing your audience. All of that plus discovering the many possible scale choices for each of the chords in the blues and you will be building solos like a master blues guitarist in no time.
All 3 Amazon best-selling books are combined seamlessly in this complete guide to everything you need to know about playing the blues.
Master fingerstyle country guitar and learn the styles of the greatest country guitar players
Are you struggling to master country guitar and Travis picking? The Country Fingerstyle Guitar Method is the perfect way to master fingerpicking on the guitar.
Here’s what you will learn:
- Master every essential country guitar technique.
- Develop Travis picking, syncopation, and articulation.
- Effortlessly combine advanced chords, inversions, and bass lines.
- Learn the guitar Styles of Merle Travis, Chet Atkins, and Jerry Reed.
- Discover banjo rolls and the secret to effortless speed and fluency.
- Learn with tablature, notation, and hundreds of audio examples of authentic country guitar vocabulary.
Part One tackles the techniques needed to build confidence, speed, and articulation. You will cover the “pinch” technique, thumb picks, and alternating bass lines, syncopation, articulation, combining chord and bass lines, and soloing while holding down the chords and bass. You will become the perfect country guitar all-rounder with an excellent mastery of Travis picking.
Part Two takes a detailed look at the evolution of fingerstyle country guitar and studies the styles and idiosyncrasies of artists like Merle Travis, Chet Atkins, and Jerry Reed. Each artist’s approach is dissected and through multiple “in the style of” examples. You will gain great insight into how country guitar picking developed into the virtuosic style it has now become. You will discover harmony, part layering, harmonics, the “claw” technique, thumb picking, counterpoint, altered tunings, and much more.
Each technique and approach is combined into a musical study that gives real insight into the greatest country guitar players in the world, and put you on the way to developing your own unique style.
Here’s what you get:
- Over 100 pages of country picking essentials stuffed with 190 individually recorded examples so you can develop at your own pace.
- A complete course in country fingerstyle–from first rudiments to advanced techniques teaching you to play the country classics while developing your own personal style.
- Detailed discussion of thumb picks, tone, technique and the evolution of country guitar.
- Complete style-files of three of the greatest country fingerstyle guitarists.
- Every essential country chord, technique, bass line, lick and trick to get you playing the right way as quickly as possible.
Bonus! – A complete solo guitar study to consolidate your new skills and help you understand how to combine all the techniques included.
Buy it now to supercharge your country fingerpicking mastery.
The ultimate jazz guitar reference book!
The book contains detailed explanations and exercises on virtually everything a guitarist needs to start playing jazz with others:
- Learn many categories of chord voicings.
- Develop comping tips and understand how to play in a rhythm section.
- In-depth scale and chord construction.
- Read charts for classic jazz tunes.
- Understand how to develop solo chops by using riffs and familiar melodies.
- Work on ways to approach practicing jazz.
- Improve your right-hand picking techniques.
- Gain knowledge of overall jazz theory …and much more!
The Ultimate Guide to Mastering Shred Guitar Technique!
Forget vanilla “safe space” guides and make way for the Ultimate Shred Machine–the ultimate guide to shred guitar picking, tapping, and sweeping!
In this no-nonsense guide to shred guitar, seasoned teacher and YouTube sensation Chris Zoupa cuts through the mystery and misinformation that shrouds guitar technique, and expertly guides you through the essential skills that’ll super-charge your rock guitar playing.
Drawing from a rich tapestry of shred guitar techniques and the styles of the players who have made them famous, Ultimate Shred Machine is a solid foundation of virtuoso guitar technique and picks up where other guitar methods stop.
What you’ll learn:
- How to play flawless shred guitar, taught in an easy-to-follow manner.
- The secrets of fast alternate picking guitar technique.
- How to sweep-pick arpeggios the right way and avoid common mistakes.
- Legato guitar technique in the styles of Satriani, Govan, and Gilbert.
- Exotic scale runs in the styles of Malmsteen, Skolnick, and Laiho.
- Neo-classical metal guitar exercises and licks.
- Simple to advanced guitar tapping techniques.
- Over 100 exercises and guitar licks with free supporting audio to download.
- Great tips on guitar tone and the use of distortion.
Bonus 1: Learn how to practice with a metronome–the right way. Master hand synchronicity and optimize your picking technique.
Bonus 2: Discover how to spice up your guitar playing with blue notes, exotic scales, modes, and arpeggios.
After the 100th student asked him, “How do I play faster?”, Chris Zoupa decided to write the definite guide to shred guitar. This book lays a solid foundation of correct guitar technique … and goes way beyond!
Ultimate Shred Machine contains over 100 exercises and supporting audio examples so you can hear exactly how each lick should sound.
Buy it now and start your journey to shred guitar mastery!