Are you stuck in a guitar rut? This book can help.
Joe Gore (a longtime guitar magazine editor and guitarist for Tom Waits, PJ Harvey, Tracy Chapman, and many other artists) has created a collection of technical and conceptual exercises that challenge the muscle-memory habits that inhibit your true creativity. The Subversive Guitarist will liberate you from boring autopilot playing, kill clichés, and help you refine your unique musical voice.
This book includes hundreds of examples (with tab and audio) but isn’t just a collection of licks and tricks. Each chapter is filled with musical ideas illustrated in standard notation, tab, and audio. The Subversive Guitarist dares ambitious and creative players to examine the very foundations of their playing.
Click here to buy the print version instead.
OTHER GREAT LESSON EBOOKS
There has never been a jazz guitar book like this before…
Mike Stern is an electrifying guitarist whose blistering chops combine sophisticated jazz harmony with rock-fusion firepower and perfect bluesy phrasing. In this ground-breaking book, he shares his secrets of altered scale soloing and reveals the keys to his signature sound.
In his new book, Altered Scale Soloing for Jazz Guitar, exclusive to Fundamental Changes, Mike teaches you in depth how to use every important altered scale on guitar to create incredible solos with his instantly recognizable sound.
You’ll master modern outside-sounding jazz guitar chops using…
- The Altered Scale (Super Locrian Mode)
- The Mixolydian b2b6 Scale (Phrygian Dominant)
- The Symmetrical Diminished Scale (Half Whole)
- The Whole Tone Scale
A Complete, Practical System to Create Modern Jazz Guitar Vocabulary
Along with over 140 jaw-dropping licks and music examples, Mike’s unique jazz guitar course teaches you to get inside the scales.
- You’ll discover the following jazz guitar soloing concepts:
- How each altered jazz guitar scale is formed
- The most important scale shapes and positions to use and why
- How to master the scale intervals and use them to create blistering jazz solos
- Beautiful sequencing patterns that quickly become musical phrases you can use
- Dozens of modern scalic licks, runs and sequences
With these essential skills under your fingers, you’ll immediately apply them musically as you learn play intervallic licks over the most essential chord changes in jazz to add new depth to your soloing.
As your jazz guitar soloing skills develop, you’ll add to your vocabulary by learning lines based around more advanced, musical jazz structures. You’ll learnt to get creative with
- Diatonic triads
- 7th chord jazz arpeggio sequences
- Triad/arpeggio-based melodies
- Longer 8-bar jazz soloing structures
Master Altered Scale Jazz Guitar Lines With Four Epic Etudes
Each altered scale is taught in its own detailed chapter, and to round off each one you’ll be taught a full-length original solo, recorded at Mike’s New York studio. These solos combine all the musical approaches of each chapter into beautiful, melodic language you can use in your own playing.
This rigorous approach, combined with a vast arsenal of melodic ideas, gives you unparalleled insight into the mind of one of the most respected jazz musicians on the planet… and you’ll also learn plenty of Mike’s signature licks and tricks along the way!
One Solo to Rule them All!
To tie every altered jazz guitar scale sound together, Mike has written an epic 130-bar solo that explores every musical concept over a blistering Bb Blues. When you learn this solo, you’ll hear, internalize and feel how these advanced jazz guitar scales can be used to make powerful, attention-grabbing music.
Throughout the book, Mike goes into such depth about his thought processes and techniques that you’ll learn so much more than you will from a transcribed solo with no explanation.
In Altered Scale Soloing for Jazz Guitar Mike has been incredibly generous when it comes to sharing his licks and musical ideas. In fact, you’ll find over 140 individual notated examples (with tab) and over 40 minutes of free audio to download.
Altered Scale Soloing for Jazz Guitar is a deep dive into the musical mind of one the true jazz guitar geniuses of our generation. You owe it to yourself to check it out take your music to a whole new level of creativity.
Master Traditional and Modern Country Guitar Playing
- Discover a Complete Method to Learn Traditional and Modern Country Guitar Playing
- Master Chord Playing and Rhythm Guitar Skills & play like the greatest country music guitarists
- Develop a full range of Scales, Arpeggios, and Soloing Approaches to create your own country music licks and riffs
Have you tried playing country guitar but don’t feel like you’ve done more than learn a few chords and cliché licks?
Do you find yourself thinking so much about the neck of the guitar that you can’t get in the groove of the music?
Do you dream of playing solos like legendary guitarists Roy Nichols, James Burton, Luther Perkins, and Eldon Shamblin?
Country Guitar for Beginners is a complete guide to help beginners master elements of the country genre. Split into two sections, this book is designed to develop chord playing, rhythm guitar skills, and lead guitar solos.
Here’s What You Get…
A complete guide to Country Music for Beginners so you learn how to play chords, rhythm, and lead solos like the greats
Over 100 pages of Chord Diagrams, Exercises, Tips, Soloing Ideas, and more so you learn to play like your favorite country guitarists
Over 170 audio examples and 3 backing tracks you can download for free to make the music come alive and help you practice your new country guitar skills\
Learn basic and advanced techniques like how to flat pick and thumb pick, embellish rhythm parts with typical double stop riffs, scales in multiple keys, using triads as soloing guides, bending ideas, diatonic intervals, and more
Country Guitar for Beginners is split into two sections: Chords and Rhythm Guitar & Scales, Arpeggios and Lead Guitar.
Part One: Chords and Rhythm Guitar revisits the essential chord voicings found in everything from cowboy ballads to western swing. There are plenty of country guitar secrets thrown in too… so you’ll need to pay attention! Once you’ve refreshed these voicings, you will look at the many ways they’re used in real country rhythm guitar.
Part Two: Scales, Arpeggios and Lead Guitar will help you develop a full range of scales, arpeggios and soloing approaches that can be applied to country music. Mastering the skills in this section will free your mind from thinking too much about the neck when playing, as well as preparing your fingers for the more technically demanding aspects of country guitar like banjo rolls and open string ideas.
While your ultimate goal may be to become the next Danny Gatton or Johnny Hiland, never lose sight of the roots. County Guitar for Beginners will help you build the foundations of rhythm guitar you need plus begin to solo like your favorite country guitarists.
Nail Your Killer Tone With This Complete Guide to Guitar Effects Pedals
All guitar players are on a never-ending quest for the perfect tone and are constantly trying to discover the right combination of effects to achieve the sound we hear in our heads. Will getting a specific pedal solve our tone problems, or is it simply the way our rig is configured?
Guitar tone guru Rob Thorpe gives a complete rundown on every type of guitar pedal, and answers all these questions and more in Guitar Pedals: Mastering Guitar Effects. If you have ever wrestled with your tone, this book is for you.
Solve These Common Guitar Tone Problems:
- What’s the best order to chain your effects together?
- Should distortion come first or last?
- What about modulation?
- Certain pedals should sound great but kill my tone?
- What am I doing wrong?
- What are the best reverb/delay pedals on the market?
- What’s the difference between a Big Muff, a Tube Screamer and a Reaper Pandemonium?
Much More Than “This Pedal Does That”…
Guitar Pedals: Mastering Guitar Effects is much more than a simple guide to the types of guitar effects. You’ll go in-depth to discover:
- The types of pedals available and how each one sculpts your guitar tone
- How to use each guitar pedal properly
- How to configure your guitar pedal board to correctly get the sound you want
- The best distortion, compression, modulation, and delay pedals to use… and when!
- How guitar pedals should really sound and what you can achieve with them
- How to get those “special effects” you’ve heard the pro guitarists use
Plus Two Free Bonuses:
Bonus One: Interviews with three touring/recording guitarists about how they created and use their rig for gigs and in the studio, revealing some great insights, including Cradle of Filth’s Richard Shaw.
Bonus Two: Effects physics for the curious, a dedicated section to show you how a guitar pedal does what it does!
Learn how to master delay to double-up riffs and even create backward solos … in harmony!
Here’s What You Get
Guitar Pedals: Mastering Guitar Effects includes studio quality recordings to demonstrate how each stomp box sounds and you’ll learn dozens of useful guitar licks appropriate to each effect. It’s not just theory, this is a practical guide with great examples and individual chapters dedicated to:
- Overdrives and Boosts
- Wah-Wahs and Envelope Filters
Plus, an all-important chapter on how to chain effects together and build up your pedalboard!
It’s time to master your guitar effects and nail your dream guitar tone!
The original best seller! A complete method for combining pick and fingers.
“With Hybrid Picking For Guitar, Gustavo Assis-Brasil has created a hugely valuable resource, in terms of expanding both one’s technique and vocabulary. Also, the studies at the end of the book are beautiful pieces in their own right. I highly recommend it.” –Ben Monder
“Gustavo’s book is probably the most comprehensive study of hybrid picking I’ve seen. I highly recommend it to anyone interested in this technique.”–Brett Garsed
If you don’t know the tradition of Americana Guitar, get ready to pay your dues…
The Americana Guitar book lets you instantly discover the evolving heritage of American music. You’ll master authentic Americana guitar along with 126 audio tracks you can download for free…
Americana is the crossroads where Country, Blues, Folk and Bluegrass collide – a century-old melting pot that is still evolving.
The Americana Guitar Book introduces you to every essential technique that will enhance your musical palette on both acoustic and electric guitar… from Travis and Carter picking, to slide licks and raucous electric guitar work.
This Americana Guitar Book will also help you discover lush new textures, rich chords, open tunings and unique musical voicings.
With Guitar Techniques Magazine’s Stuart Ryan as your expert guide, you’ll learn essential guitar techniques like:
- Bluegrass-style alternating basslines
- Strumming patterns
- The “Carter picking” style of Maybelle Carter
- “Travis picking” developed by Merle Travis
- Simple to advanced fingerpicking approaches
- Accompaniment in the styles of Bob Dylan, Paul Simon and many more
- Creative open tunings
…and much more. In fact, you’ll master a rich tapestry of techniques and songs that will heighten your creativity on guitar.
This unique Americana guitar method is organised chronologically to help you discover the whole history of Americana music…
And each generation of heroes has something new to offer the aspiring Americana guitarist
The Pioneers – Elizabeth Cotten, Maybelle Carter, Lester Flatt, Clarence White
The Renegades – artists who changed the sound of Americana, including Hank Williams, Johnny Cash, Bob Dylan, Luther Perkins
The Hitmakers – Paul Simon, Neil Young, Bruce Springsteen, Tom Petty, Emmylou Harris
The Renaissance – a new generation of Americana-influenced artists including Steve Earle, Gillian Welch, John Hiatt, Melissa Etheridge, Lyle Lovett, Peter Buck
Americana Today – the artists who are still evolving the style: Alison Krauss, Lucinda Williams, Wilco, Aimee Mann, Rodney Crowell, Ray LaMontaigne, Chris Stapleton
But that’s not all! You’ll also learn these essential creative songwriting techniques:
- Guitar hooks that dovetail beautifully with vocal parts
- Tight, cohesive rhythms embellished with legato melodies
- Linking chords with scale runs and licks
- Accompaniments with moving basslines
- Chord-melody arrangements
- Using diverse Americana styles to write your own songs
And there’s more…
Award-winning author Stuart Ryan has included four full-length pieces that combine the techniques and styles into beautiful songs.
You’ll move from capturing the “old time” sound of Americana, through intricate fingerpicking, to learning how artists like Steve Earle and Springsteen fused traditional Americana with rock guitar to bring you bang up to date.
With 126 audio tracks you can download for free, The Americana Guitar Book is your ticket to the evolving heritage of American music.
The Perfect Resource for Any Country Guitar Player
Three Best-Selling Country Guitar Books in One Complete Volume
- Discover every essential country guitar chord.
- Master country guitar techniques like banjo rolls and hybrid picking.
- Learn and apply over 100 country guitar licks.
- Play exciting country guitar solos with authentic backing tracks.
- Discover every important country guitar scale in addition to learning the CAGED System.
- Master bends, slides, picking, legato, and much more!
The Complete Country Guitar Method Compilation is a collection of three best-selling books that teach the essential skills required to move from absolute basics to astonishing country guitar solos.
Here’s What You Get:
- Three best-selling books in one!
- 278 pages of traditional and cutting-edge country guitar essentials.
- Over 400 notated audio examples so you can hear how to play guitar.
- A complete breakdown and masterclass of every country guitar technique.
- Over 100 authentic “in the style of” country guitar licks.
You’ll be a country guitar picking pro in no time.
Book 1: Country Guitar for Beginners
Are you struggling to learn country guitar? This book covers the essential country chord voicings found in everything from cowboy ballads to western swing. There are plenty of country guitar secrets thrown in too so you’ll need to pay attention! Once you’ve learned these voicings, you will apply them by playing real country rhythm guitar.
Next, you’ll move on to develop a full range of scales, arpeggios and soloing approaches that can be applied to country music, preparing your fingers for the more technically demanding aspects of country guitar.
Book 2: Country Guitar Soloing Techniques
Have you ever wondered how great country guitarists effortlessly outline the chord sequences in their solos and never break a sweat? This book teaches you authentic country guitar soloing using the actual techniques of the masters.
With over 180 notated audio examples, every essential technique, scale and approach is dissected and developed into musical licks and exciting, flamboyant solos. From simple scales to triads and chromatic approach notes, the harmonic and theoretical aspects of soloing are broken down and rebuilt effortlessly into articulate solo lines that sound incredible. You’ll discover triads, Pentatonic scales, open string licks, hybrid-picking, banjo rolls, slurs and chromatic ideas that will quickly propel you to country guitar soloing greatness.
Book 3: Country Guitar Heroes – 100 Licks for Country Guitar
This goes way beyond every other lick book available. It’s a complete guitar method for country guitar that teaches you how to learn and internalize the language of the country guitar masters into your everyday playing.
The style and language of the 20 most genre-defining country guitar players are discussed and analyzed, along with five defining, “in the style of” guitar licks are given for each player.
Albert Lee | Brad Paisley | Brent Mason | Buck Owens/Don Rich | Chet Atkins | Danny Gatton | Eldon Shamblin | Glen Campbell | Hank Garland | James Burton | Jerry Donahue | Jerry Reed | Jimmy Bryant | Johnny Hiland | Keith Urban | Redd Volkaert | Roy Nichols | Steve Wariner | Vince Gill | Whit Smith
In addition to learning their essential country guitar language, you will also learn how to easily incorporate their country guitar licks into your playing.
You can’t afford to miss this incredible country guitar resource.
Do you hear great blues guitar songs and wish you knew how to play them?
Do you want to play great solos but don’t even know where to start?
Wouldn’t it be great to emulate your favourite blues musicians or even pick up your guitar and work out your favourite songs by ear!?
- Play solos in the style of B.B. King, John Lee Hooker, and more!
- Learn to instinctively play any blues song.
- Understand scales and techniques so you find the right notes every time.
The Complete Guide to Playing Blues Guitar is a three-part series that teaches you the essential skills required to become a master blues guitarist.
Here’s what you get…
- Over 245 Pages of blues guitar mastery focusing on rhythm guitar, melodic phrasing and beyond pentatonics that help you play any blues song.
- Over 400 notated downloadable audio examples of exercises, techniques and licks so you can hear and feel each stepping stone in the process.
- Over 20 backing tracks so you can play and hear what you are learning in actual musical situations.
- The complete blues guitar soloing course that will have you writing and improvising your own solos in no time.
With over 245 jam-packed pages and 400 notated audio examples from all three books in the Playing Blues Guitar series, this is the most comprehensive guide to playing blues guitar ever released.
Book One – Rhythm Guitar focuses on the topic of rhythm guitar giving you a solid understanding and practice of not only the common blues chord structures but also multiple approaches you can take to embellish the standard harmony. Beginning with the basic structure of the 12-bar blues and continuing with open-string riffs, dominant 7 chords, turnarounds, and more. This book gives you the tools needed to play any blues song.
Book Two – Melodic Phrasing examines the most important aspects of blues guitar soloing, allowing you to develop your improvisational skills in the blues world. By teaching rhythm, phrasing and placement you learn to use fundamental rhythmic fragments to create and drive your solo forward. Because when you know the building blocks melodies will take care of themselves. Never worry about forgetting licks again.
Book Three – Beyond Pentatonics teaches you the secrets of blues guitar soloing by showing you how to break away from the minor pentatonic soloing trap that plagues so many. It shows you how to target the most powerful notes from each chord in the blues progression to create the greatest emotional effect, wooing your audience. All of that plus discovering the many possible scale choices for each of the chords in the blues and you will be building solos like a master blues guitarist in no time.
All 3 Amazon best-selling books are combined seamlessly in this complete guide to everything you need to know about playing the blues.
Master fingerstyle country guitar and learn the styles of the greatest country guitar players
Are you struggling to master country guitar and Travis picking? The Country Fingerstyle Guitar Method is the perfect way to master fingerpicking on the guitar.
Here’s what you will learn:
- Master every essential country guitar technique.
- Develop Travis picking, syncopation, and articulation.
- Effortlessly combine advanced chords, inversions, and bass lines.
- Learn the guitar Styles of Merle Travis, Chet Atkins, and Jerry Reed.
- Discover banjo rolls and the secret to effortless speed and fluency.
- Learn with tablature, notation, and hundreds of audio examples of authentic country guitar vocabulary.
Part One tackles the techniques needed to build confidence, speed, and articulation. You will cover the “pinch” technique, thumb picks, and alternating bass lines, syncopation, articulation, combining chord and bass lines, and soloing while holding down the chords and bass. You will become the perfect country guitar all-rounder with an excellent mastery of Travis picking.
Part Two takes a detailed look at the evolution of fingerstyle country guitar and studies the styles and idiosyncrasies of artists like Merle Travis, Chet Atkins, and Jerry Reed. Each artist’s approach is dissected and through multiple “in the style of” examples. You will gain great insight into how country guitar picking developed into the virtuosic style it has now become. You will discover harmony, part layering, harmonics, the “claw” technique, thumb picking, counterpoint, altered tunings, and much more.
Each technique and approach is combined into a musical study that gives real insight into the greatest country guitar players in the world, and put you on the way to developing your own unique style.
Here’s what you get:
- Over 100 pages of country picking essentials stuffed with 190 individually recorded examples so you can develop at your own pace.
- A complete course in country fingerstyle–from first rudiments to advanced techniques teaching you to play the country classics while developing your own personal style.
- Detailed discussion of thumb picks, tone, technique and the evolution of country guitar.
- Complete style-files of three of the greatest country fingerstyle guitarists.
- Every essential country chord, technique, bass line, lick and trick to get you playing the right way as quickly as possible.
Bonus! – A complete solo guitar study to consolidate your new skills and help you understand how to combine all the techniques included.
Buy it now to supercharge your country fingerpicking mastery.